Tuesday, August 28, 2012

My First Big Storm

Okay, so. I have a confession to make.  I have lived in SOLA for 14 years and this is my first Hurricane.  I know, I'm a weenie.

Katrina would have been my first real storm.  We lived & died by The Weather Channel that week and I had a pretty good idea of the SIZE of the storm, but had no idea what any of it meant. TWH, who was our resident Hurricane expert having gone through Hurricane Andrew, kept telling me it was no big deal and so I continued on with my life. I cleaned the bathrooms. I did laundry. I fielded phone calls from friends & family. The first one being from my friend Marti who lived in Japan at the time. I answered the phone to her yelling "WHY IN THE HELL ARE YOU STILL THERE!?!?!".  I STILL didn't think it was a big deal.  TWH said everything was FINE.  I tend to take everything my husband says at face value so I thought everything was cool.

Until about 3 in the afternoon.  That's when TWH comes into the bedroom where I was folding clothes and sheepishly says "Y'know... I just got a good look at the storm...  It's a LOT bigger than I thought...  Maybe we should go to Mom & Dads".

I stood there staring at him for a few seconds before I yelled "Pack a bag!!  We have to leave!!"

In hindsight, I could have handled that better.  TB was 6 and kinda freaked out.  He packed his suitcase with nothing but shirts & underwear & I packed like we were never returning.  I checked TBs bag.  TWH checked MY bag.  We finally got everything we needed to leave and jumped into the van.

Out normally 4 hour drive took 8.  We arrived safely in Minden around midnight.  We watched the horror of Katrina on the news.  We swam in the pool when we weren't riveted to the television. We were safe. We were lucky.

Now we're facing down Issac.  We're not going anywhere.  Again, TWH says it's no biggie.  Again I am taking him at his word.  Because that's what I do.  I'm kinda nervous though.

I hope I have enough alcohol...


  1. Kyle came home just before 10:30 that morning. I had a load of towels in the washer and I was watching TV while ironing. He was rather disgusted that they had made them all go home from work. Having been born and raised in Maine and then living in the SW for the last 30 years, asked what shallahdo? He said, "nothing - we are 3 hours from the coast!" BAM the electricity went out - oh crap - wet towels that had not reached the spin cycle even! The whole town was a mass of downed trees and wires. Eight days later we got our power back. We're more ready this time even though I just saw that it's eeked its way west of us (which would be you).
    By late afternoon it was as black as a moonless night - then the telephone poles started falling and trees .....
    I truly do not care what TWH says - get out of there STAT! Looks like it is planning to head straight up LA, so - spare room here if you need it.

  2. That's why I like living in New England....snow storms, that's it...

  3. Sending you prayers and will silently toast my glass to you this evening as I watch the weather channel knowing you are watching also, so be safe :)

    1. Tonight I'll be toasting you as well. Thanks for the prayers!!

  4. I just need to know that you are ok with updates of ANY sort for the next 48 hours....

  5. Scott, I will keep checking in. Love ya!!


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.